North End Neighborhood Organization (d6) Board Member Description
The organization is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that promotes the involvement of residents and businesses in public decisions and plans by the City of Saint Paul and in promoting activities that make the community a great place to live and work. The Council is governed by a 21-member volunteer board of directors elected by community residents/business owners.
We work to include all voices in decision making.
Title: Board Member
Reports To: North End Neighborhood Organization Board of Directors Terms of Service: Elected two year terms maximum 5 terms.
Time Commitment: 5-10 hours per month minimum
No Compensation – Volunteer Position
- Support the organization’s mission and strategic plan, and work with community members to address issues in the neighborhood.
- Attend monthly Board of Directors meetings-first Monday of the month
- Ratify committee recommendations
- Provide policy, financial, and legal oversight and help shape organizational planning to ensure that NENO is run responsibly and according to regulations for 501(c)(3) organizations, and is successful in its efforts to achieve its mission.
- Conduct outreach within the North End and within a particular quadrant to encourage participation, broadly gather input from community members, and provide representation for our diverse communities in order to advise the City of issues that impact the quality of life in the North End
- Serve on at least one committee, ad-hoc committee, or task force. Contribute to efforts to build community and maintain and improve the quality of life in the North End
- Participate in NENO sponsored events
- Ensure you are able to fully participate in meetings-familiarize yourself with all meeting information before the meeting Executive Committee:
- Executive Committee is comprised of a Chair, Vice Chair, Treasurer and Secretary.
- Executive Committee members are elected by and from the General Board Members.
- A term for an Executive Committee member is 1 year.
- An Executive Committee member can serve no more than 2 terms in any one role, but can serve a total of 4 terms in any role.
- The Executive Committee, if the above term limit conditions create a critical lack of board membership, can recommend to the Board a vote to suspend a Board Member’s term limit to ensure Board continuity. This would require a two thirds majority vote of
all Board Members and cannot exceed the Minnesota state statute on term limits for nonprofits.
- Shall preside at all meetings of the Board.
- Shall have general responsibility for conducting the affairs of the District Council.
- Shall have general responsibility for the implementation of all resolutions passed by the Board. May, as necessary, designate Committees and appoint chairpersons, with the approval of the Board.
- Shall have the privilege of attending all Committee (task force) meetings as ex officio member.
- Shall make sure that all necessary reports are filed in a timely manner. Vice Chair
- Shall perform the duties of the Board Chair in his or her absence, inability or refusal to act.
- Shall assist the Board Chair in conducting the business of the Board as requested. Secretary
- Shall be responsible for keeping accurate records of all proceedings of meetings of the Board.
- Shall assure that all reports submitted by all committees are maintained in the Council office. Treasurer
- Shall keep track of any monies; with the assistance of the Executive Director; obtained for conducting the Council business.
- Shall maintain records of the disbursement of monies as needed at the discretion of the Board.
- Shall make monthly reports of the fiscal matters of the Board.
- Shall be responsible for the safekeeping and filing of all original documents in the Council office upon completion of financial transactions.